Best Tummy & Skin-Friendly Snacks (That Are NOT Fruits and Vegetables)
Updated: Dec 11, 2019
For those with acne caused by gut issues (like irritable bowel syndrome, candida overgrowth, leaky gut and more)- finding something to snack on is quite a feat.
Avocados are good for the skin but also contain FODMAPs in higher amounts or if you're craving something sweet but know sugar makes you break out. I know, I've totally been there. Remember, everyone is totally different and requires a customized treatment- (for a little more help on how to identify the root cause of your acne, schedule your free Heal Acne for Good Assessment to get started!) so these snack ideas may not be perfect for everyone but my goal is to give you some suggestions on where to start! Here is my roundup of snacks that are acne-friendly AND easy on the gut!
1. Biena roasted chickpeas (be careful of honey flavor as honey is may be an IBS trigger). These snacks are high in fiber and low in added sugar (or no added sugar if you opt for the lightly salted!). Be mindful of the serving size- as we know, chickpeas can be a trigger for tummy problems, so stick to the recommended 1/4 cup portion size!
2. Delighted By Dessert Hummus: These dessert hummus' taste like frosting! If you know chocolate tends to break you out, opt for the vanilla flavor. Again, be mindful of the serving size to avoid tummy troubles!
3. Dark chocolate or carob. If chocolate isn't an acne-trigger for you- opt for organic dark chocolate! Full of antioxidants and usually not hard on the belly- it's just darn good for your soul! If you know chocolate bothers you perhaps you might try carob- chocolate's cousin. Be sure to get DARK chocolate or carob with no added sugars.
4. Flax Crackers by Foods Alive. This cracker is grain-free and comes in many different flavors. Some flavors have more added sugars than others so be mindful of that (aim for < /= 6 g sugar per serving size). High in fiber and a good source of omega-3, these crackers can give you that satisfying crunch at snack time without sending you to the bathroom or bringing on a breakout!
5. Justin's Almond Butter Squeeze packs. A great source of protein and healthy fat, these on the go snack can help keep you full and satisfied on the go or at home. It's also a great alternative for those who are sensitive to peanuts.
6. Pumpkin seeds. These are one of my FAVORITE acne-fighting and IBS-safe snacks! Easily available, natural and packed with acne-fighting nutrients like zinc. They are a MUST to have in the pantry for those who are fighting acne and have gut issues like irritable bowel syndrome, candida overgrowth or leaky gut.
7. Daiya Plain Yogurt. While some may not like this flavor because of the coconut-y taste, if you're a fan of coconut, you'll be a fan of this non-dairy yogurt alternative! It's great for those with acne/leaky gut because it is fortified with vitamins and probiotics needed to support a healthy body and skin.
8. Wildway Grain Free Granola Coconut Cashew. I'm in love with the ingredients on this snack! Real, whole ingredients with no added sugars (sweetened by dates- which are low glycemic and OK for acne sufferers). I also love the zinc-containing pumpkin seeds in this which can also help fight acne. Stick to the recommended serving size of 1/4 cup to keep your tummy happy!
9. Olives. Yep, just plain, canned or jarred olives (look for low sodium if possible though!). Enough of these omega-3 fatty acids can help heal the skin and soothe inflammation causing gut issues.
10. Boiled eggs. Another plain and simple snack you can eat at home or on the go. Eggs are acne-safe and low FODMAP, meaning they won't upset your tummy!
11. Dang Unsweetened Toasted Coconut Chips. High in fiber with a little bit of protein, these coconut chips can help satisfy a sweet craving and help fill you up. Be sure to stick with the recommended serving size of 1/4 cup to avoid tummy troubles!
12. Go Raw Organic Zesty Pizza Sprouted Flax Snacks. If you're craving something savory, these bites can be a great option! With lots of protein and zinc, these are a good snack to add to your rotation if you're battling acne caused by gut issues. These snacks are a little high in sodium, however, so don't eat them in large amounts.
Don't forget to schedule your free Heal Acne for Good Assessment where we will identify the potential root cause(s) of your breakouts & set you up with a 30 day plan so you know exactly what to do to get on the right path to clear skin!